Dan Wilson was born south of Alliance and spent most of his young life helping his family with vegetable gardening, which they did on a large scale and helping his father cutting stone.  In due time, he learned the trade of stonecutting, later becoming a bricklayer.  Being the only son, his parents were not in accord with his getting married, but on November 26, 1898, he went to New Waterford and married mother.  They started housekeeping near Mount Union, and the first winter dad bought a milk route, where he would pick up large cans of fresh milk, then go to the different customers and dip out what milk they wanted to buy.  Many times in zero weather
he would have to break the ice in the milk to get the dipper in.
    In 1903 they found a small farm (about 21 acres) in a nice fertile valley just east of Alliance and in 1909 moved into a large new brick home built by Dan.  The help that he needed was then paid $1.00 per day.  It was a 4- bedroom house, a spring in the basement, a big cistern and hot water heat with coal furnace.  The house was even wired for electricity with cords hang- ing down with a light bulb in the end. A nice wood burning cook stove rounded out a most modern home at that time.
     Dan worked very hard at his bricklaying trade and mother and the kids took care of the "farm".  There was usually no work at bricklaying in the winter, so dad would then be working around the barn or something to beautify the house.  In the 1920's he started helping his father, John Wilson, in the contracting business.  Dan was head foreman on most of the big road jobs.  When the big depression started, John Wilson's health was failing, so dad started helping out in the office, and for the last two years practically ran the business, never getting paid anything.  In 1936 John died. A few years before he had been modestly wealthy, but by this time it was gone.
     Dan had the job of administering the estate. John had co-signed several large notes, and of course, the bank came back upon the estate.  Everything was sold at auction.  The family home on S. Union Ave. was sold for $5,500. The large "Barnaby" farm was sold for $5,700.  Many lots in the southwest end of Alliance sold for $17.50 each.  The business at 62 East Summit was sold. But all creditors were paid in full.
     Dan had a heart condition and had not been able to work at his trade for some years.  He picked up odd jobs, fixing steps, sidewalks, etc., but mostly tinkered around his small "farm", raising sheep, a few chickens and gardening.  Mother died in 1937.  Fern and Elvin started housekeeping in the old home with dad, and when they built their new little home and moved into it, Dan married Mary Borton.  They lived happily until Dan's death from a heart attack in 1943.
     He left many fond memories with his children.

Return to Contents